Health Benefits of Figs or Anjeer
The health benefits of figs or include treatment of sexual weakness, constipation, indigestion, piles, cough. It also helps in gaining weight after illness.
Figs are seasonal that are found in the western parts of Asia. However, dried figs are always available. The figs tree is a member of mulberry family.
Health benefits of figs can be attributed to the presence of , vitamins and fibre in them. Figs contain chlorine.
A few of its health benefits include:
- Prevent constipation: There are 5 grams of per three- serving. So, it helps in healthy bowel function and prevents constipation.
Weight loss: The fiber in figs also helps to reduce weight and is recommended for obese people. Take care - figs also result in weight gain, especially when consumed with .
- Lower cholesterol: Figs contain Pectin, a soluble fiber. When fiber goes through the digestive system, it mops up globes of cholesterol and carries them out of body.
- Prevent coronary heart disease: Dried figs contain phenol, Omega-3 and Omega-6. These fatty acids reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Prevent colon : The presence of fiber helps to mop up and usher out cancer causing substances.
- Protection against post-menopausal: Fiber content in figs give protection against cancer.
- Good for diabetic patients: The American Diabetes Association recommends figs for a high fiber treat. Fig leaves reduce the amount of insulin needed by diabetic patients who have to take insulin injection. Fig is rich in Potassium. Potassium helps to control blood sugar. Fig leaves have anti-diabetic properties
- Prevention of hypertension: People used to take more sodium in the form of salt. Low potassium and high sodium level may lead to hypertension. Figs are high in potassium but low in sodium. So, it helps to avoid hypertension.
- Sexual weakness: Figs are known since ages for reducing sexual weakness. Soak 2-3 figs in milk overnight and eat them in the morning to enhance your sexual power. It also helps in gaining weight.
- Strengthens bones: Figs are rich in Calcium. Calcium helps to strengthen bones.
- Urinary calcium loss: People having high salt diet may be affected by increased urinary calcium loss. Potassium content in figs helps to avoid that.
- Prevent macular degeneration: Vision loss in older people is due to macular degeneration. Fruits and figs generally are good for avoiding this condition.
- Relief for throat: The high mucilage content in figs, helps to heal and protect sore throats.
Figs are quite useful in various respiratory disorders including whooping cough and asthma. Since they are also good for digestion, they help in treating constipation, indigestion, stomach ache, etc. Figs are also good for, abscesses, venereal diseases and is excellent for the liver. Fig is a highly alkaline , therefore helps to regulate the pH of the body. Figs are rich in flavonoids and polyphenols. These are antioxidants, which prevent the damage caused by free radicals. Fig is known for its soothing and laxative properties. Figs are low in fat and sugar.